I recently stumbled upon an article touting Williamsburg, Virginia as a top destination for Christmas. It was posted on localadventurer.com.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, I couldn’t help but feel a pang of disappointment. The article, while mentioning the highlights, barely scratched the surface of what makes Williamsburg truly magical during the holidays.
Looking Beyond the Tourist Trail:
The article mentions the popular Christmas Town at Busch Gardens and the historical charm of Jamestown, both worthy attractions. However, it neglects the heart and soul of Christmas in Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg.
Stepping into Colonial Williamsburg during the holidays is like stepping into a living Christmas card. Historic buildings adorned with twinkling lights, carolers serenading the streets, and artisans crafting holiday gifts transport you back in time to a simpler, merrier era. You can even participate in traditional Christmas activities like candlelit caroling and wreath-making workshops.
A Culinary Adventure Awaits:
The article’s suggestion of Amber Ox Public House and Food for Thought is spot on, but it only hints at the culinary delights that await in Williamsburg. We’re home to a diverse range of restaurants serving everything from farm-to-table fare and upscale Italian cuisine to eclectic cafes and cozy pubs.
More Than Just a Holiday Destination:
While Christmas is undoubtedly a special time to visit Williamsburg, its charm extends far beyond the holidays. As a local real estate agent and self-proclaimed Mr. Williamsburg, I can tell you that there’s something to discover here no matter the season.
Insider Tips for an Unforgettable Christmas in Williamsburg:
- Go beyond the lights: While Christmas Town is a dazzling spectacle, don’t neglect the authentic experiences offered by Colonial Williamsburg.
- Savor the flavors: Immerse yourself in the local culinary scene by venturing beyond the recommended restaurants. Ask locals for their favorite spots!
- Embrace the history: Take advantage of the numerous historical tours and exhibits offered throughout the city.
- Stay a while: Williamsburg offers a wide range of accommodations to suit every budget and style.
- Become a local: Strike up conversations with the friendly residents and shop at locally-owned businesses.
I encourage you to explore Williamsburg beyond the tourist trail and discover its true Christmas magic. And if you ever find yourself in town, don’t hesitate to seek advice from Mr. Williamsburg himself!
Happy Holidays from Williamsburg!
John Womeldorf, Local Real Estate Agent and Mr. Williamsburg