Mid Atlantic land management LLC has applied for a special use permit to rezone approximately 83 acres of land from EO (economic opportunity) to PDR (Planned Development Residential) The developer intends to construct a 213 unit senior housing independent living development. The community will consist of a mix of single-family detached houses, duplexes, and triplexes. They have voluntarily proffered to provide age-restricted housing intended for occupancy by persons 55 years and up. No residents under the age of 19 will be allowed. No word yet on who will build it but Mid Atlantic has developed many parcels in the past partnering with many builders including Ryan Homes and others.
The property is located at 2000 Springfield Rd. adjacent to the Kings Creek timeshare development and right around the corner from the Marquis retail center. The community will be accessed via Tranquility Drive through the Kings Creek plantation resort.
The parcel enjoys beautiful wooded views in a secluded setting that is close to shopping, healthcare, the Colonial Parkway, and Interstate 64. The developer feels these attributes make the property ideal for an age restricted 55+ plan residential community. They feel that it offers the following advantages to York County:
- Provides an opportunity for seniors to remain in the county in a master-planned community design for their housing needs.
- The community is projected to generate an excess of $500,000 in net revenues to the county annually upon project completion.
- The project will have no impact on the county school system.
- The development will provide 213 new households with discretionary purchasing power that can help support the nearby underperforming Marquis retail center.
- Senior communities such as this generate considerably fewer vehicle trips per household, per day then either standard residential development or timeshare resort development.
- The private roadway system within the community will not necessitate public road maintenance expenditures.
The Tranquility community is designed to offer different price points within the community to attract a broad range of senior buyers. The development will consist of a mixture of single-family detached homes, duplexes and triplexes to appeal to a broad range of buyers. The site is designed to take advantage of the beautiful views with many of the lots backing up to wooded ravines or Kings Creek.
Amenities in the Tranquility community will consist of a community clubhouse with exercise facility, swimming pool, a patio with grill and fire pit, formal long for resident activities and walking trails with scenic overlooks.
The case will be heard at the York County Planning Commission meeting on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 7:00 p.m., in the Board Room, York Hall, 301 Main Street, Yorktown, Virginia
Psst, I’m a real estate agent.
This post was authored by local resident and REALTOR, John Womeldorf. John is known around town as Mr. Williamsburg, for both his extensive knowledge of the Williamsburg/ Hampton Roads area and his expertise helping buyers and sellers in the local real estate market.
If you are a homeowner searching for someone innovative to sell your home I would love to share my thoughts on marketing. You can read some of the stories I have written about the homes I have sold here.
Additionally, I have helped hundreds of folks find their dream home/ community and would love to help you find yours in Williamsburg, Yorktown, New Kent, VA Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Isle of Wight Poquoson as well as Richmond.
You can reach me by phone at 757-254-8136 or email John@MrWilliamsburg.com
I look forward to serving your real estate needs!